|Machine tools are dangerous and may cause great injury. This information was collected from a variety of sources, is neither complete nor verified, and is of a general nature for theoretical study only. Any attempt to duplicate the operations described should be done with the guidance and supervision of a qualified instructor who will teach the appropriate safety skills and fill in the missing details. Follow this link for Statements of Warning, Limitation & Responsibility.|
|Startup and Z-Retract||Programming Operations / Cuts (Coming Soon)|
|Setting Tool Offsets||Kent Mill with Acu-rite Control (Coming Soon)|
Startup & Z-Retract
||The Mitutoya MillStar Conversational
Control is found on the older Kent Tool-room Mills found in the
El Camino Machine Shop. This control is not that hard to
use, but it is not as intuitive as the newer Acu-rite control.
Make sure to follow the Shutdown procedure when finished.
1. Flip on the on/off switch, found at the back right of the control box.
2. The first step is to set the "Z-Retract". This is the point the spindle will return to as it's home. You want to make sure that all other operations take place below the Z-Retract.
Pull on the quill so the spindle sticks down about 1/2 inch.
The quill will move stiffly. If it is too hard to move, the
quill-lock may need to be loosened.
4. From the initial start page, press F2 Program, F1 Shop Floor, F7 Setup, F3 Configuration.
5. From "Run Configuration", look at "Z-Retract" in the Top Left of the screen. It will probably read blank at this point.
6. Press "Z" to accept the current quill position as your Z-Retract and press "F8 Done" to save.
7. Press Escape until you are back at the main startup page.
Setting XYZ Tool Offsets
1. Setting your X,Y,Z offsets tells the Mitutoyo control where your tool is in relation to the part.
2. It is easiest to set the "Zero" offsets at the same "Zero" indicated on your blueprints.
3. Before setting the offsets, install your cutting tool and place it on the work at X-0, Y-0, Z-0. Z-0 is usually the surface of the work-piece. It is important that Z-0 (the surface of your work-piece) is below the Z-Retract position set in "Startup" above.
4. From the main startup page, press F6 DRO.
5. From the DRO page press: X Enter, Y Enter, Z Enter.
6. Your XYZ offsets are now set. Press Escape to return back to the main startup page.
1. Proper shutdown of the Mitutoya Millstar Control is easy but important.
2. Press the blue "WSD" button at the bottom right of your keypad.
3. You will be prompted to choose if you want to save your program. Do everyone a favor and press "F2 Don't Save".
4. When the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen comes up, flip off the switch on the back right of the Mitutoyo control panel.
5. Reach over to the spindle control on the Kent Mill and press the big red "Emergency Stop" button.
6. Press the "Emergency Stop" button on the mill next to the spindle controls. This will shut down the oil-pump and prevent oil from overflowing onto the floor when the mill is idle.